Title: Rising Plague
Author: Brad Spellberg, M.D.
Antibiotic resistance is becoming a real threat to public health. This book, written by an infectious disease specialist who is very concerned with this issue, is definitely an interesting read!
A few take-aways from the book:
- Antibiotic resistance was noted within one year of the use of antibiotics.
- One of the reasons that new antibiotics are not being developed is because there is more money for the pharmaceutical companies in developing drugs that will be used by patients as long-term therapies instead of short-course antibiotics.
- The main things that individuals can do to protect ourselves from antibiotic-resistant infections:
1) Only use antibiotics when necessary (not for viral illnesses, etc.).
2) Practice good personal and household hygiene.
3) Stay out of the hospital whenever possible.